Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Transferring Lactobacillus to Newspaper

The next step is to transfer the lactobacillus serum to newspaper. I used two different recipes and methods to do this.

The first recipe was given to me by my teacher and it calls for 6 parts lactobacillus serum to 1 part molasses. This recipe requires a lot of lactobacillus, so I only made 2 batches from this mixture. I also used much thicker newspaper in this recipe. The thicker newspaper has to be soaked longer, and I'm hoping that I will be able to rip them into smaller pieces when they are dry.

The second recipe I got from bokashicomposting, and it called for 1 part lactobacillus serum to 1 part molasses to 6 parts water. Since this recipe required much less lactobacillus I decided to make the remainder of my batches with this recipe. I also did the soaking process a bit different. For these batches I soaked smaller individual newspaper pieces. This took much longer, but in the end I think it will be worth it.

After the newspaper has soaked for a while I took it out and drained all the excess liquid out of it . I then placed the newspaper in a large plastic bag and squeezed out all of the air out before sealing it. The next step is to let it sit for 10-20 days in a cool area. I'm currently on day six, so I have a while to go.

1 comment:

  1. I'm stoked to see this. I would love to see more pictures, of say the white spots on the newspaper that you talked about. Great job on this project. You got an A.