Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Making Lactobacillus

I started my lactobacillus cultures with the instructions found on Bokashicomposting. This was the process.


I started by mixing 1 part rice to 2 parts water in a mason jar. I shook up the contents for a few minutes to get all the sugar off of the rice. I then drained out all the solids and was left with a half filled mason jar with a cloudy watery mixture. I then let the jar sit for 8 days in a shady location. After the 8 days I moved the serum to a larger container and added 10 parts milk to the mixture. I then allowed it to sit for approximately 2 weeks. (This first batch of rice water mixture on the left developed mold and had to be thrown out. The mold developed as a result of forgetting to cover the top of the mixture. My second batch was made with a rice water mixture that was covered with a light fabric top)

No comments:

Post a Comment